- For health and safety reasons, puppies should be at least 4 months old and have all their shots before coming to Red Rover™.
- All DIY dogs must be leashed or under owner control at all times.
- Please pick up after your dog in or around the shop. Accidents happen – no worries! Poop bags are available, as is an area for relief. Please let us know of accidents so we can clean and sanitize the area.
- If your dog has fleas, we offer a shampoo that will help. Please give us a heads up so we are better prepared to help you.
- If your dog has been skunked, call ahead so we can arrange the best time to come in (it will be ASAP, we promise!).
- Wear comfortable, non-slip shoes.
- First-time dogs can be nervous and apprehensive. They will end up having a great time, but take some time to talk to them, stroke them and ease them into the process.
- Each tub has a simple “hitch” to attach the leash. An additional hitch is beside each tub to secure another dog if you bring two. If you prefer, we have crates available.
- Bring your kids or grandkids – they’ll love it!
- Put cotton balls in your dog’s ears – it keeps the water out and REALLY helps with the dryer experience.
- If your dog is matted, we suggest making a grooming appointment. Bathing only makes mats worse!
What do I need to bring?
Just your dog(s)! We provide shampoo, conditioner, wash cloth, towels/dryer, latex gloves, brushes, combs and aprons.
Do I need to make an appointment?
Can I get nails clipped or other types of grooming services?
Yes. We’ll provide nail clippers if you want to do it yourself. And, we have a complete a la carte menu of “Spaw” services.
What do you do to keep tubs, tools, brushes, etc. clean?
We use special “dog-friendly” cleaners to sanitize the tubs, which we do after every use (the only exception being if you bathe more than one dog during your visit). All the combs and brushes are kept in a sanitized solution so they are continuously cleaned. Towels are washed on site every evening. Beyond that, we regularly clean floors and the grooming area to ensure the place looks good, smells great and is a healthy, happy environment.
Doesn’t the hair back up the drains? I don’t want my dog standing in water!
Our custom-built tubs have filters on the drains to catch the hair. We will help clear that filter to make sure the water runs freely. There’s a trash container beside each tub to discard trash of any kind.
What if my dog has fleas or an unfortunate run-in with a skunk?
Fleas are common on Hilton Head, and we have specially treated shampoo to knock those pesky critters on their butts. For skunked dogs, you have our full sympathy and support! But, please call ahead so we can make arrangements so as not to skunk out other guests.
Do you require proof of vaccination?
Part of our responsibility as pet owners is to ensure they receive annual preventive shots and a rabies vaccination every three years (at least). We are stringent about proof of shots for dogs dropped off for full-service bathing and grooming. This is to protect the health of both visiting dogs and people. If you are dropping in for a DIY service, we will ask for and prefer to see the same documentation. However, we understand that not everyone carries this documentation at all times and will, in most cases, be lenient for those visitors. Note: Either way, if we see anything that sends up a flag (skin dander, ear mites, etc.), we’ll let you know so you can schedule an appointment with your vet.
How do you accommodate really big and tiny dogs?
Our tubs can easily hold the super-sized dogs – Great Danes, Newfoundlands and the like are no problem! Small dogs are equally accommodated by special “trays” that can be set in the tub. There’s a step to help dogs get into the tub and, if need be, we have a ramp. No lifting required!
Can I bring my own shampoo and conditioner?
Sure! We may even discover a new product that we should offer! However, we are not able to discount the wash for those who bring their own products.